Monday, January 25, 2016

Blog Post #1

Computers are an important part of the educational experience because technology is a big part of life nowadays. Using computers in the classroom teaches kids how to properly use them when in and out of school. It can also be important for those who do not have access to computers outside of school as this may be their only way to learn technological skills. Some concerns are that sometimes teachers will have their students use the computers too much and it will take away from actual learning. Another criticism is that cursive is not being taught in some schools anymore due to everything being done on computers. I think that is the most important criticism because I felt like learning cursive was very important in my learning experience and children now should have those same experiences.



  I feel like the ISTE standards are not too much to ask, however I also feel like teachers should have the choice of how much and what technology they want to use in their classrooms. One standard that I feel is outside of my current skill set is the 'Design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments' standard. I feel this way because I currently don't know how to design or adapt learning experiences that incorporate digital tools very well.


  I do not agree with the label "digital native" for today's youth. Not all children had the privilege of growing up around technology so the term cannot apply to all youth. A digital native refers to someone who grew up in the digital age. The differences I have seen between myself and my teachers use of technology is that some of my older teachers throughout the years were not as proficient in using technology and often had to ask the students for help. I anticipate to have to adapt to whatever technology my future students will be using. Technology is constantly updating so i'm assuming that by the time I am a teacher the youth of America might be using new technology that I do not know much about

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you when you talk about how cursive not being taught in schools anymore because of computers! A big part of my elementary school was writing cursive everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that you talked about the handwriting skills. I wasn't thinking about that before.

    ReplyDelete